Today at its Annual Meeting, NAIOP Massachusetts, The Commercial Real Estate Development Association, elected a new President and Board members, along with a new Leadership Council. The Board includes the principals of many of the region's leading commercial real estate firms.
Leslie Cohen, Chief Operating Officer and Head of Asset Management at Samuels & Associates, was elected President of NAIOP Massachusetts for 2020. In this capacity, she will work closely with NAIOP staff and Chapter leadership to guide the organization. Sara Cassidy of AEW, who served as the 2019 President, will serve as Board Chair; Tom Andrews of Alexandria Real Estate Equites becomes President-Elect; Jessica Hughes of Tishman Speyer will serve as Treasurer; and Patrick McMahon of Federal Realty Investment Trust becomes Secretary.
"NAIOP is the voice for an industry that plays a critical role in the region's economy and competitiveness. Our members are innovative, engaged in their communities and focused on ensuring that Massachusetts is a great place to work and live," said Cohen. "At the same time, we have a great opportunity to foster diversity across the field. I look forward to collaborating with other senior NAIOP leaders to implement new initiatives that will cultivate a broader pipeline of talent interested in all aspects of the commercial real estate industry."
Cohen has been part of the Samuels team for more than 17 years. She previously served as the President of CREW Boston (formerly NEWiRE) and has served on the Board of Trustees and the Building Committee at the West End House in Allston, on the Building and Grounds Committee at Tufts University, and, for the second time, will co-chair Heading Home's Housewarming event. In 2013, Cohen was selected as a Boston Business Journal's 40 under 40 honoree. In 2014 and 2018 she was honored as one of Bisnow's Power Women in Commercial Real Estate.
"NAIOP's volunteer leaders represent the best of this industry. NAIOP's Executive Director Reesa Fischer and I are honored to work with professionals like Leslie in our efforts to advance and grow the industry," said Tamara Small, CEO of NAIOP. "Their creativity and energy will allow our organization to address the needs of commercial real estate professionals while focusing on advocacy, education and professional development."
The 2020 Leadership Council members include:
- Chapter Affairs Chair: Michael Wilcox, The Bulfinch Companies, Inc.
- Developing Leaders Chair: Alex Schultz, Davis Companies
- Developing Leaders Vice Chair: Sam Campbell, JLL
- Diversity Equity & Inclusion Chair: Taidgh McClory, TH McClory, LLP
- Diversity Equity & Inclusion Vice Chair: Amanda Strong, MITIMCo
- Government Affairs Chair: Carolyn Desmond, Skanska Commercial Development
- Government Affairs Vice Chair: Matthew Snell, Nutter McClennen & Fish
- Membership& Marketing Chair: Tina Snyder, DivcoWest
- Membership& Marketing Vice Chair: Katherine Shoss, The Bulfinch Companies, Inc.
- Program & Education Chair: Robert Borden, CBRE
- Program& Education Vice Chair: Michael Buckley, Avison Young
- Awards Chair: Allen Breed, MITIMCo
- Golf Tournament Co-Chairs: Andrew Gallinaro, National Development and Sarah Lagosh, Eastdil Secured
- Developing Leaders Board Liaison: Abby Mondani, Oxford Properties
- Communications Chair: Wendy Pierce, Goldstein Pierce PR
- Strategic Development Co-Chairs: Kerry Hawkins, JLL; Derrick Goodwin, Lee Kennedy Company; Dan McGrath, Berkeley Investments; Kathy McMahon, National Development and Adam Weisenberg, Sullivan & Worcester LLP
In addition, the following industry leaders joined the NAIOP Board for three-year terms:
- Katharine Bachman, Gravestar
- Marcella Barriere, Google
- Kevin Benedix, Boston Global Investors
- Lawrence Curtis, WinnDevelopment
- Russell DiMartino, Skanska Commercial Development
- Todd Fremont-Smith, Nordblom Company
- Richard Galvin, CV Properties
- David Goodhue, Colliers International
- Taran Grigsby, Fidelity Real Estate
- Timothy Guy, Clarion Partners
- Andrew Hoar, CBRE
- Shawn Hurley, Marcus Partners
- Gary Kerr, Greystar
- Sarah Lagosh, Eastdil
- Charles Leatherbee, Trammel Crow Company
- Douglas Manz, HYM Investments
- Steve Marsh, MITIMCo
- John Myers, Redgate
- Tinchuck Ng, Cottonwood Management
- Alex Schultz, The Davis Companies
- Kirk Sykes, Accordia Partners
- Joseph Zink, Atlantic Management
NAIOP Massachusetts also presented several special awards to select members who have made significant contributions to benefit the industry. Sara Cassidy presented the 2020 President's Award to Rob Borden of JLL in recognition of his exceptional leadership, strategic direction and vision as Vice-Chair of NAIOP's Program Committee. Larry Feldman of GZA was presented with the 2020 NAIOP Government Affairs Champion Award in recognition of his years of work on NAIOP's Brownfields Redevelopment Committee. His advocacy has resulted in countless laws and policies that encourage the cleanup and redevelopment of contaminated sites in Massachusetts.
The Annual Meeting was held prior to the start of the NAIOP/SIOR Annual Market Forecast, which included an economic overview by Kelly Whitman, Vice President of Investment Research at PGIM Real Estate, and market updates from Kristin Blount (Downtown), Executive Vice President, Colliers International; Robert Byrne (Suburbs), Managing Director, Cushman & Wakefield; Ben Coffin (Cambridge), Managing Director, JLL; Rick Schuhwerk (Industrial), Executive Managing Director, Newmark Knight Frank; and Chris Skeffington (Capital Markets), Senior Vice President, CBRE.
About NAIOP Massachusetts
NAIOP Massachusetts, which represents 1,650 members, is the leading organization for developers, owners, and investors of office, research & development, industrial, mixed use, multifamily, retail and institutional real estate in the Commonwealth. NAIOP advocates for policies that advance commercial real estate while providing outstanding education and networking opportunities.